Students who will need home or hospital instruction during the course of the year should be referred to the superintendent's office. Parents making such a referral will be required to include a report from a licensed medical physician who will give an estimate of the duration of the temporary physical or health impairment which is causing the need for home or hospital instruction. It will then be the responsibility of the school district to determine the need for such instruction based on the estimated length of absence from school and the projected academic loss of the child.